Sometimes trying to choose a party theme for a birthday party is harder than you think. It could be that you have several ideas for your five year old that neither you nor your child can seem to narrow down to just one, or perhaps you have no idea what to do for a first birthday party. Well have no fear, The Sugar Bee Bungalow is here to help you with a few tips for choosing the perfect party theme for your child's party!
1. When deciding on your party theme, take the seasons and the weather into consideration. You probably don't want to throw an outside beach party in the middle of January. Now I know that seems pretty obvious, but it applies to several other party themes and activities. Stick to snow themes in the winter and water themes in the summer, etc. It really makes planning a lot easier if you work with the weather and the seasons, not against them.
2. The easiest way to choose a theme is by asking yourself, "what does my child enjoy?". Is there a particular food that he can't seem to get enough of, a book that he loves to have you read to him, characters from a television show or movie that make him light up, a favorite animal...perhaps it is a family pet, or maybe a sport that he enjoys playing or watching? If your child is of a certain age, asking him for ideas would probably be very helpful.
3. If your child is turning a year old, he may be a little too young to really be "in" to something specific (but not always), therefore look at a theme that may reflect you or your spouse, or the family as a whole. For example, you may want to have a fireman or police themed party because you or your spouse do one of those as a profession, maybe you choose a golf theme because it is a past time that your family enjoys doing, or perhaps you want a theme that reflects your culture and heritage. These ideas could make a very fun and unique party theme that you and your guests would truly appreciate and enjoy.
4. Having a unique party is great, but if it is too abstract it may make it difficult to find party decor, favors, etc. to go with your theme. Therefore, do some research and look at what would be accessible both in the stores and online. But if you do choose a party theme that is very unique, with a little elbow grease and craftiness you can make coordinating party favors and have the party custom designed!
5. Sometimes a theme is as easy as choosing your child's favorite colors. This makes party planning extremely easy as all you need to find is party decor and favors in a particular color palette...unless your child's favorite color is chartreuse or something. But even then, it is completely possible! Party and craft stores have so many options!
6. The theme may be looking at you right in the face and you don't even know it! Look at what your child is wearing or look in his bedroom. You may find that he owns a toy, decorative object, or an article of clothing that has the perfect party theme. If you look back at my Sock Monkey Party Collection post, you will see that the collection was inspired from my son's onesie. Now I know that was a custom made collection, but there are numerous accessible party collections that exist both online and in the stores. But if you can't find what you are looking for, you can always have the party collection custom designed!
7. Finally, if you are still unsure of what theme to choose, go online and Google for ideas! This could be the perfect way for you to find that spark of inspiration!
Whatever method you choose in finding your child's party theme, relax and have fun with the process. You are making memories that both you and your child will love and cherish for the rest of your lives!