Pumpkin Spice Cake Cupcakes
Slightly adapted from Country Living
Yields 24 cupcakes
1 1/2 sticks unsalted butter (softened)
1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
1 cup sugar
1 cup pumpkin puree
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cream butter until smooth in a large bowl with an electric mixer set on medium speed. Add the sugars and mix until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition, until the mixture is smooth and light. Set aside.
3. Combine the pumpkin puree, buttermilk, and vanilla in a medium bowl and set aside.
4. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and nutmeg in a large bowl and set aside.
5. In thirds, alternately add the flour mixture and buttermilk mixture, blending well after each addition until smooth.
6. Pour batter into the cupcake liners and bake until a toothpick inserted into the middle of each cake comes out clean- 20-24 minutes.
7. Cool the cupcakes completely before adding frosting.
8. Frost cupcakes and enjoy!
Cinnamon Buttercream Frosting
Slightly adapted from Wilton
Yields 3 cups
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter or margarine softened
1 tsp. clear vanilla extract
4 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons water
1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
In a large bowl, cream shortening and butter with an electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add water and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Finally add cinnamon and mix until fully integrated.
Happy Thanksgiving Baking!